She is Too Fond of Books community
She is Too Fond of Books community
Reviews
Showing 1-25 of 195
reviewed Room: A Novel. October 16, 2013
Room: A Novel
  I finished reading Emma Donoghue's Room a few days ago and I've been puzzling about it ever since.       The novel, which according to Donoghue's website …
reviewed The Rule of Four. November 17, 2012
The Rule of Four
Tom Sullivan is about to graduate from Princeton. He has an obsession inherited from his father, about the book, "Hyperotomachie Polyphile" which was published in 1499. Tom's father's …
reviewed Room: A Novel. March 21, 2012
Room       Author: Emma Donoghue   Reviewed By Fran Lewis       The four walls of a room can often be confining when you are sick and unable …
reviewed The Uncoupling. December 16, 2011
The Uncoupling
Meg Wolitzer’s The Uncoupling is a novel in the suburban frustration vein (a sub genre that includes most novels by writers like Jonathan Franzen, Richard Yates, and Tom Perotta as off the cuff …
reviewed Bossypants. June 16, 2011
Bossypants
I bought this as my first Kindle book because I'd heard it was laugh-out-loud funny and I wanted something light to read on the plane for a trip I was taking. I think I made it halfway through the book …
Cover
Malcolm Gladwell knows how to tell a story. He captures the little details about people and events that give them meaning and make them interesting, something he used to good advantage in The Tipping …
reviewed The Kitchen Daughter. April 15, 2011
The Kitchen Daughter
Author Jael McHenry introduces herself to the literary world in a big way through her debut novel THE KITCHEN DAUGHTER. Taking us into the life of the young woman Ginny, she allows us to see the world …
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand: A Novel (Random
In the tradition of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, or the film Last Chance Harvey, Helen Simonson tells the story of Major (ret.) Ernest Pettigrew, a fine old English gentleman doing his best not to fade …
reviewed The Rule of Four. April 07, 2011
The Rule of Four
The Rule of Four is a coming-of-age novel built around a real-life mystery, The Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, a Renaissance book that has puzzled scholars and historians for 500 years. As a literary device, …
Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, No. 2)
Stephanie Plum is slowly learning the bounty hunter trade but she's got a long road to haul before she'll be ready to tackle the really mean dudes.      In the meantime, "Two …
reviewed One for the Money. March 31, 2011
One for the Money
Let's face it - the basic premise of this book is so whacked that you just gotta laugh before you even start reading it! Stephanie Plum, a down on her luck and out of work lingerie buyer cons her …
God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
An atheist manifesto, GOD IS NOT GREAT contains content that ranges from thought-provoking essays to vitriolic diatribes against both the existence of an all-powerful God and the current and historical …
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Like JACK AND THE BEANSTALK, ALICE IN WONDERLAND, HARRY POTTER, THE WIZARD OF OZ and so many other children's stories that have entered the realm of literature classics, THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE …
reviewed Room: A Novel. February 25, 2011
posted in Cage
I would never have read this book if it wasn't part of The Morning News' Tournament of Books. Although this seems to be on most "best books" lists for 2010(and shortlisted for the Mann …
reviewed Room: A Novel. February 23, 2011
Jack has spent his entire life in one location—Room. It is where he was born and to his five year old mind, Room is the entire world. His world contains three people, himself, Ma, and Old Nick. …
reviewed Major Pettigrew's Last Stand: A Novel. February 13, 2011
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand: A Novel (Random
This book has been on my wishlist for months, and I finally got a paperback copy as a Christmas gift, and then of course I was reluctant to start the book because I was afraid it woudn't live up to the …
reviewed Freedom: A Novel. February 10, 2011
posted in Cage
Freedom: A Novel
Too many of the pivotal scenes in Freedom have a ridiculousness to them. They are just real enough that the characters seem in earnest, but sufficiently unreal that they seem to be part of a joke. The …
reviewed Room: A Novel. February 02, 2011
I had been reading and hearing nothing but good things about Room, so I finally decided to see what the hype was all about. My reading pleasure was slightly tainted when the library gave me one …
reviewed Cleopatra: A Life. January 05, 2011
Cleopatra: A Life
Stacy paints a portrait of Cleopatra in a way that has never been done before. Cleopatra: A Life is filled with interesting facts while maintaining an entertaining flow. I really enjoyed listening to …
reviewed Freedom: A Novel. October 19, 2010
   Well remembered for his masterful readings of such titles as "Water For Elephants" and "The Second Horseman," David Ledoux gives a praiseworthy narration of FREEDOM, a story in which he's …
reviewed The Swan Thieves: A Novel. October 12, 2010
The Swan Thieves: A Novel
Artists and lovers My rating: 3 of 5 stars "The Swan Thieves" is a story about love, art, and obsession. Dr. Andrew Marlow, an amateur painter himself, takes on the case of Robert Oliver, nearly …
reviewed You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught M.... October 09, 2010
You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets
Right now the demand for dog books can scarcely be sated. Being one of the insatiable readers of these dog books, I got my hands on Julie Klam's You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets …
reviewed The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. October 08, 2010
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE is the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia. It doesn't matter how the books are being published right now, if you read them for the first time out of order …
reviewed Freedom: A Novel. October 04, 2010
  Freedom has the two-and-a-half-dimensional feel of reality television. I enjoy reading it, but I'm not convinced that any of the characters (especially Patty) is really so good at taking …
reviewed Freedom: A Novel. October 04, 2010
Freedom is a big book. I liked it, but it is not perfect. Jonathan Franzen presents characters in difficult relationships. I developed an empathy for these characters reading this book. There is relationship …
1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Next
Write a Review

Share your opinion and then share it with your friends.

She is Too Fond of Books community is part of the Lunch.com Network - Get this on your site
()
This is you!
Ranked #
Last login
comments
ratings
questions
compliments
lists